This video demonstrates a method to close the shutter curtains on Nikon Z cameras during lens changes to avoid dust accumulation while the mount is open, the same as the Canon EOS R camera does automatically.
1) Turn the camera off.
2) Remove the XQD card. This isn’t essential but a precaution to make sure the camera doesn’t attempt to access the card when the battery is pulled in step 4.
3) Turn the camera on and wait a few seconds.
4) Remove the battery. This will trigger the camera to close the shutter curtains.
5) Perform your lens change. Be very careful to not touch the shutter curtains – they’re very close to the mount on Z cameras and extremely delicate.
6) Reinsert your XQD card and battery and turn the camera on. You’ll immediately see an error message asking you to press the shutter button. This is because the camera does not expect to find the shutter curtains closed at power-up – for orderly shutdowns the Z cameras always leave the shutter curtains open. Simply press the shutter button once to reopen the curtains.